Search This Blog

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Xbox 360 Slim and Wireless N - no 5 GHz support

I'm sorry to have to start my blog with a rant, but this sticks in my craw.
I've been using the Xbox wireless n adapter on my old Xbox 360 for about a year, and it's been great.

My wireless network is set up to allow b/g devices to use the 2.4 GHz band, and faster n devices to use the 5 GHz band. The 2.4 GHz band is rather crowded in my area, so anything that I can get on to the 5GHz band is a bonus. This includes the Xbox 360, as its wireless adapter supports both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wireless n bands. And it flies!
I recently had the opportunity to upgrade my Xbox to the new "slim" model. As well as being quieter, slimmer and more power efficient, it has a wireless adapter built in - with wireless n! Great, I thought. No more dongles hanging off the box, and more free USB ports.


The problem however, is that for some strange reason Microsoft decided to offer single band 2.4 GHz support only. Sure, it has wireless n, but only on the 2.4 GHz band, which even according to Microsoft's own Xbox engineering team, is not ideal, due to the aforementioned congestion issue.

Don't throw this out just yet!
Given that the Xbox 360 slim has been redesigned, why would Microsoft choose to omit dual band wireless? (The old adapter even had wireless a for goodness' sake!) Too expensive? Wouldn't fit? They forgot? Let me know what you think.


The bottom line is that I've gone back to using my Xbox wireless n adapter so that I can use the 5 GHz band. I discovered that it has little swing-out feet too, which I'm now using, because Microsoft removed the wireless connector port from the back of the new Xbox as well. Consequently, the adapter just sits on top of the Xbox, or hangs off it if you choose not to use the feet.
Don't get me wrong, the new Xbox 360 Slim is great, but don't throw out your old dual band Xbox wireless n adapter just yet.

2 comments:

  1. How do you install the drivers when the XBox 360 Slim doesn;t recognize the installation disc in the drive? Some assistance on the setup would be great. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. The drivers for the Xbox Wireless adapter are already included on your Xbox, assuming you have the latest dashboard update. If not, you should download the latest update. After that, go to the networking section on the dashboard and configure your adapter.

    ReplyDelete